page loader
Español English

Flood Insurance

Flood insurance was designed specifically to protect residential and commercial buildings from flood damage. It must be purchased as a separate policy from private insurance companies or government-run national insurance companies.

Who is it for?

Typical homeowners and business policies do not cover flood damage and is mandatory for homes or businesses in high-risk flood areas. However, it can also be purchased if the property is located in a moderate to low risk area.

Policies for private insurance companies and government-run companies are written by the National Flood Insurance Program and are written based upon your area’s flood risk. Flood risk areas can be located on Flood Insurance Rate Maps. These maps determine the yearly premium for this insurance.

Residential Coverage

This policy covers damage to your home, garage and personal possessions. Things that are usually covered include the following:

  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Home and garage foundation
  • Refrigerators, stoves, and built-in appliances
  • Central air-conditioning, furnaces, and water heaters
  • Carpeting
  • Paneling and wallboards

Personal Contents Property items that are covered include the following:

  • Washers and dryers
  • Portable and window air-conditioners
  • Personal belongings such as clothing and electronic equipment
  • Original artwork
  • Furniture
  • Portable kitchen equipment

Commercial Coverage

The policies for commercial coverage usually cover the same building and personal property items as covered in the residential coverage, as long as the commercial property qualifies for a Preferred Risk Policy. This policy provides coverage for a commercial property that is located in a moderate to low-risk area.

If the commercial property does not qualify for the Preferred Risk Policy, a standard rated policy may be the only option. These policies are written for commercial buildings in high-risk areas.


Depending on the policy, it can reimburse up to $250,000 for residential occupancies and $100,000 for content coverage. Policies for a business and content coverage can cover up to $500,000. Obtaining the right coverage is the only way to protect a homeowner, renter, or commercial business owner from a financial crisis resulting from flood damage. Speak with one of our dedicated agents to determine the coverage that’s best for you.